Welcome to our website! ATESOL NSW Inc. is a non-profit professional association of people working in the field of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and related areas. The association was formed in 1971 and was known as ATEFL. It assumed its current name in March 2002. ATESOL NSW is a member of the Australian Council of TESOL Associations (ACTA).
ATESOL NSW's members come from all education systems and sectors: early childhood,
primary, secondary, tertiary, ELICOS, adult and community education. Our mission is to advocate on behalf of and improve educational outcomes for learners of English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D), including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who speak traditional Indigenous languages, creoles and varieties of Aboriginal English.
The objectives of the association are:
▪ to promote intercultural harmony within the Australian community by supporting educators and all those with an interest in the teaching and learning of English as an additional language or dialect;
▪ to assist in maintaining and improving the standards of instruction in TESOL to young people and adults in NSW schools, TAFE colleges and other public and private educational institutions;
▪ to promote fellowship, mutual co-operation and understanding between members of the association, and with other individuals or associations with similar objectives.
To achieve its objectives, our association:
▪ conducts professional learning workshops for ESL, ESOL and EAL/D teachers in NSW;
▪ consults with and advises educational policy-makers in NSW;
▪ speaks out about matters that affect our learners and their families;
▪ promotes academic research in the field;
▪ publishes digital newsletters and assists with research reports;
▪ organises symposia and action research opportunities;
▪ works with other organisations to improve the educational achievement of learners of English as an additional language or dialect.
ATESOL NSW Inc. © 2018
PO Box 965, Kensington NSW 1465
ABN 45 769 925 602